Friday, August 25, 2017

Finally, A Plan! Learn to Love Your Macros

The most mysterious thing in the wellness business after your basic health biometrics is the allocation of your dietary macronutrients (your "Macros")  The typical YouTube conversation about this subject goes like this:
Meathead #1: "Dude, I can eat whatever I want if it fits my macros"
Meathead #2: "Yeah, bro, did you see that YouTube video of Muscle Nuts eating those pancakes?"
Meathead #1: "Bro, Ronnie Coleman eats French fries with gravy every morning and he's RIPPED".
Meathead#2:  "Dude, my metabolism is so fast I can eat Ben & Jerry every day, if it fits my macros".

"If It Fits My Macros (IIFMM)" is one of the most-oft quoted acronyms in the fitness world these days. Essentially, the IIFMM diet is like Weight Watchers - you have a limit to what you eat each day. However, the "points" in this case are your daily intakes of protein (PRO), Fats (FAT), and Carbohydrates (CHO). The problem is that most people have absolutely no idea what the point totals are for each of these three macronutrients. But...if you have read my previous posts, you certainly do: Fat = 9 cals/gram and Protein and Carbs are each 4 cals/gram.

Now, that you know the calories for each macro, how do you construct a food plan? More specifically, how to create a food plan that can be measured and managed - preferably in a spreadsheet - by Type A, Alpha characters like you, who are often have no time for such nonsense or are always on the road.  Here's how:

  • Take your ideal weight (not your fantasy weight or the weight you weighed in high school) and multiply it by 11. That is your daily calorie intake. That's it.  I read and studied for two years and that's what I came up with. Think of how much money you just saved.
  • After that complex math problem, you multiply the appropriate macronutrient ratio by the total number of calories.  Now here is where some actual science comes in. If you are over age 40, add 5% to the protein and reduce 5% from the carbs. If you are over 50, add 10% to the protein and reduce fat and carbs by 5% each.  As you age, your body has harder time processing protein, which is why you much increase your intake as you get older. 
So take me for an example. I currently weigh 205 pounds and would like to weigh 200 or less because it's easier on my joints and it's an easy way to gain more reps on bodyweight exercises like pull-ups. I'm 55 years old, so the increased (but not excessive) protein intake is a key for me. So how do I figure my macros effectively?

Since most Alphas want to see an algorithm via a spreadsheet, here you go.  First, enter your weight and press "Enter". Find your age group and you will see your daily macro reported by calories and by weight.


ENTER
Goal Weight (lbs)
200
 
 
 
Daily Calories
2,200
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Allocation
 
Macronutrient
Age <40
Age 40-50
Age >50
 
Fat (FFA)
20%
20%
20%
 
Carb (CHO)
65%
60%
55%
 
Protein (PRO)
15%
20%
25%
 
 
100%
100%
100%
 
 
Daily Intake (calories)
 
Fat (FFA)
440
440
440
 
Carb (CHO)
1430
1320
1210
 
Protein (PRO)
330
440
550
 
 
Daily Intake (grams) 
 
Fat (FFA)
49
49
49
 
Carb (CHO)
358
330
303
 
Protein (PRO)
83
110
138

If you are interested in obtaining a copy of the spreadsheet, I will send it out via e-mail on request.

OK, so now you have the plan. So what do you do with it? Stay tuned to the next episode and find out.

Be well, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Fitness Advice for a Post-Covid 2022

 It's been awhile since this blog has been updated, so please excuse me if I'm a bit rusty after having to deal with Covid, post-Cov...